Because of You Chihuahua Rescue, Inc. does not adopt out dogs on a first come, first serve basis. Because we want this to be a permanent adoption, we will place the dog in the home best suited for him/her. We will not hold dogs for homes that are not ready to adopt yet or have not yet been approved. Because of You Chihuahua Rescue, Inc. is 100% spay/neuter prior to adoption. We do not do out of state adoptions. If an adoption doesn’t “click” and the new home is far from the foster homes, it makes it extremely difficult to retrieve the animal and get him or her to the original or another foster home.
So you want to adopt a Chihuahua? Here's what you need to do...
Submit an adoption application. It can be found HERE
Once you submit the application, you will receive an email/call from a rescue representative.
We verify personal and veterinarian references that are given on your adoption application. A home visit is then scheduled.
We reserve the right to refuse any adoption. If we approve the adoption, we will require you to sign our adoption contract. It is a legal and binding contract, stating that if for any reason, your circumstances change and you can no longer keep the dog/puppy you have adopted, you must return it to Because of You Chihuahua Rescue, Inc.
Our adoption fee is $150.00 unless otherwise noted.
These are a few things to remember when looking to adopt a dog from us.
Understand that BOYCR requires a home visit PRIOR to adoption
Home must have a securely fenced yard
ALL animals in the home must be spayed or neutered and current on vaccines unless there is a medical reason
- Be an adult with responsibility for maintaining a household
- Have current identification showing address and/or phone number (Your Drivers License number will be required on the adoption contract.)
- Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in the household
- Be able to spend the time and money necessary to provide for the training, medical treatment and proper care of the pet
- Have resources for a non-refundable adoption fee
- Provide an environment for the animal that will keep him/her safe and secure. We do not approve of long hours of crating. You must be willing to purchase a baby gate ( at Walmart for approx. $10.00) and agree to keep the dog in a bath/kitchen/ utility room, etc. if you work and are gone over 4 hours.
- Agree to provide the pet with an indoor home and be willing to consider him/her a member of the family
- Understand that Because of You Chihuahua Rescue dogs are spayed/neutered, no exceptions
- We do not normally adopt to families with children under the age of 10 years old, however, understand that children's age restrictions will be based on their exposure to and experience with the breed.
- Place personal ID on the pet as soon as possible
- Understand that Because of You Chihuahua Rescue has the right to either deny or approve your adoption application without explanation
A Few Points to Remember
Every dog will not fit into every household. It is left to the discretion of the Board of Directors, whether to approve a placement. We do not adopt dogs to be given as gifts. If someone you know would like a dog, have that person fill out the application form. You could offer to pay the adoption fee if you would like it to be a gift.
Please understand that Because of You Chihuahua Rescue is an all volunteer based organization. We will try to get back with you in a timely manner, but we all have our own careers, and use our free time to volunteer to save these dogs.
We hope this helps you understand our adoption process and requirements for adopting from "Because of You". If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!